Are you someone who has a passion for social justice and feels –strongly- that injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere?
Would you like to work for a dynamic, feminist organization that provides services to those impacted by intimate violence?
Then a position at Survivors, Inc. might be just what you are looking for!
We are looking for compassionate yet assertive individuals to provide personalized, client centered and holistic civil legal counsel to protect victims’ rights to live peacefully in their own homes and communities. The director of legal services must maintain the highest standard of ethical responsibility. We are also seeking an attorney who must maintain the highest standard of ethical responsibility in offering unwavering legal services.
Additionally, we are also seeking a dedicated, energetic paralegal to assist the staff attorney in handling cases involving those impacted by domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking by conducting client interviews and meetings, preparation and filing of legal documents and providing referrals. Excellent interpersonal skills- including empathy for those in crisis- essential. Salaries based on experience. Exceptional benefits package.
Objective: Assist attorneys in all aspects of legal case preparation and file management including legal research, drafting routine documents and collection of information relevant to cases.
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions and legal codes to prepare legal documents such as briefs, pleadings, appeals, etc. for use by attorney.
- Identify relevant judicial decisions, statutes, legal articles, codes and other pertinent material
- Cross-check and validate information
- Check and edit legal forms and documents for accuracy
- Build and maintain databases and files
- Organize and track case files
- Review and monitor new and updated laws and regulations
- Maintain law library
- Co-ordinate law office activities such as subpoena delivery
- Draft routine legal documents for review and use by attorneys.
- Compile and prepare draft discovery responses.
- Prepare record summaries.
- Prepare exhibits and other demonstrative evidence for use at trial.
- Categorize and interpret data; review and analyze reports, responses and records produced by opposing counsel.
- Conduct investigations as needed and directed.
- Coordinate requests between multiple parties involved in litigation by way of consistent communication with client, claims and full partnership with attorney through end of case.
- Participate in special administrative and legal research projects as requested.
- Assist in program evaluation planning and implementation for the Legal Center.
- Participate in training required by the PCADV Attorney Network.
- Conduct ongoing systems advocacy in Adams County to improve the response to victims in all relevant systems including the community, law enforcement, courts, law profession, and social service organizations.
- Maintain appropriate files, records and reports according to legal standards and as required by funding sources and the CEO.
- Participate in staff meetings, in-service trainings and other related functions of Survivors, Inc.
- Maintain continuing legal education (CLE) credits as required for licensure.
- Other responsibilities as required to further the legal and justice issues of the person being served.
- Adhere to all personnel policies as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Complete all other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Complete Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor Advocate training as per 23Pa CSA §6116 and 42 Pa CSA §5945.1 and the related practicum within 6 months of employment.
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience required, Bachelor’s preferred.
- Paralegal Certificate from an ABA-certified program preferred.
- One year of family law experience preferred.
- Knowledge of law office procedures and local court/jurisdiction rules and procedures
- Resourceful research and analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Westlaw and Lexus Nexus online research.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently handle multiple tasks.
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License Required.
- Project a high level of comfort with diverse populations.
- Bilingual skills preferred (Spanish – English)
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License, use of personal vehicle and proof of appropriate auto insurance and registration required.
- Be able to pass a criminal and child abuse clearance check upon hire and thereafter annually or as requested.
To apply, send both cover letter AND resume to:
PO Box 3572
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Incomplete applications will not be accepted, lack of cover letter counts as incomplete. No calls please. EOE.